Re: [NTLK] [OT] Tiger Direct Hard Drives

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 09:30:12 PDT

Betty wrote:
> Never let it be said that I have an original thought - as a continuation of
> Sonny's email regarding the fabulous hard drive deals at Tiger Direct, they
> seem to be at it again! At least they are for the 500GB LACIE BIG
> DISK-EXTREME FW800 7200RPM which I just ordered at $88.99 each.

Folks,

I know that cheap drives are cool and all, but I hope you realize that any
external hard drive that you buy (Lacie included) has only a one year limited
warranty. Meaning that in three years when the drive(s) fail, you will not be
getting a replacement.

But, if you buy a Seagate bare drive from a shop, you get a *five* year
warranty. You can easily mount it in an external enclosure, FireWire or USb
2.0, and there's your external storage.

I know that the Lacie has a built in RAID 0, which is cool, but relative ages
of hard drives lately are hovering around 3 to 4 years, it's a good idea to
get the best warranty possible.

Just a grain of advice from someone who's been buying hardware a long time,
and who just shopped around and bought a new Seagate drive for backups.