Re: [NTLK] [OT]You have got to be kiddin'

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 13:36:27 PDT

It all comes down to (sometimes very odd) copyright laws. In many
respects if you take a original work, change it, then it becomes your
work at that point. But copyright laws do differ from country to
country (with regards to what consensus as "enough" change and what is
plagiarism), as well as the "spirit" of the law. While technically if
you gave someone a copy of the NIV you are breaking the law (a digital
copy), I very much doubt they would care unless you were selling it or
calling it your own work. Especially since their whole mission is to
spread God's word as much as possible.

Also if you have purchased a NIV version (paper) and were given a copy
of the NIV that was for your Newt, if you are only using the Newton copy
then copyright laws would seem to be satisfied.

And finally in the case of the NIV, you can read it all on the Net for
free anyway (just found it at http://www.ibs.org/niv/index.php). So
again I doubt they would care regardless.

-Dan