Re: [NTLK] [OT]Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Jakob Peterhänsel (jakob_at_hjemme.dk)
Date: Sat Jun 11 2005 - 14:35:31 PDT

Hi All,

In general, I had the same feeling when I heard this, as when I saw =20
the press release about the end of the Newton.

The main reason is not that the Mac is changing to another processor, =20=

it's the fact that it's the 'old cisc' from Intel - in my world some =20
old shit, streatched to the outer rims where almost no further =20
roadmap seems possible.

Now, if we look at last falls Super Computer list (http://=20
www.top500.org/lists/plists.php?Y=3D2004&M=3D11) we see a PowerPC system =
=20
with Apple hardware on spot 7, feat. 1100 Dual-CPU computers at =20
2.3GHz each reaching 12.25 Gflop.

The first listed Intel Pentium system listed, is in spot 10, feat. =20
2500(!) Dual-CPU at 3.06GHz each reaching 9.8Gflop...

If that gives anyone a clue about performance, it should scare you.. =20
I scares me... !

     Jakob Peterh=E4nsel

"Tell me why, don't we try, not to break our hearts
   and make it so hard for our selfs"
P.S.B. 1987

Email: jakob_at_hjemme.dk
AIM: Marook