Re: [NTLK] [OT]Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Toby Hutton (tobyhutton_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 21:37:18 PDT

On Jun 08 '05, Norman Palardy wrote:
> The AltiVec units in the G4's and G5's still kick SSE's butt and we may
> see some actual performance hits from that for things that use it.

Doing some searches on the 'net seem to tell me that was true a few
years ago but these days SSE and AltiVec are on par. I've read
developers who have used both say each have their (dis)advantages and
performance is pretty much the same.

I planned to play with AltiVec directly soon but don't think I will
bother now. Sticking with the Apple libraries is a better bet since
they'll be ported from AltiVec to SSE although it's not as much fun as
coding the units directly. :(

Toby.