Re: [NTLK] [OT] Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Matt Howe (matthowe_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 18:06:19 PDT

How interesting. I had the exact opposite experience. I worked IT for a
company a few years ago and they wanted to put about a dozen laptops into
use so we bought Compaq thinking that being a big name they should be
reliable. 4 of them were bad out of the box with red lines on the screen
when ever you turned them on. One lost its CD drive in the first 30 days.
Compaq replaced the cd drive, but the screens, they said that level of bad
pixels was acceptable to them and would not be covered under warranty. I
mean they had two and three one pixel wide red lines from top to bottom of
the screen!

As for HP, love their printers but I bought a parallel port cd burner back
in the day. Burned one disk, set it on the shelf. Went to use it six weeks
later, dead. I called HP. They said sorry, out of warranty. I understand
that they have to watch warranty dates, but one disk!

Where as where I work now we use exclusively Dell. Note books, desktops,
servers, whatever. I was so happy with the ones at work I bought a desktop
for myself at home.

I guess there are good stories and horror stories with every brand/company.

Matt "Ducky" Howe
matthowe_at_comcast.net
mywebpages.comcast.net/mhowe41