[NTLK] purchase advice pls?

From: JP (spacebar0_at_fastmail.fm)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 08:40:08 PST

Hi folks;

Still stumbling around looking for best comm option for the Newt 2100
I'll be putting in for in the next 24 hrs. Altho the machine certainly
has many strong features as a stand alone unit I need to know a
collective opinion about how to get the unit;

connected to internet. I have a combo wifi/router Verizon provides
w/DSL. Westell Versalink 327w (just fyi)..anyway, the local machines are
a Wallstreet running Jaguar (now connected to 1 of 4 ethernet ports on
the Versalink modem.) Another machine is lonely. She arrived this month
(a virtual donation from sis-in-law; she didn't use it hardly at all)
This is a PB 1400c. 48mb/2gig/OS 9.1) NO ethenet card. I will be
obtainig wifi cards for both these machines concurrent w/Newt. So, when
the MP arrives, it should be welcomed by 2 wifi PBs. The goal is to have
all these portable machines able to communicate. Assuming the wifi
installation is nominal;

Keeping in mind economical concerns -- I won't be able to augment the
whatever setup is chosen till May --

What is the most failsafe networking solution?

I can purchase an ethernet pcmcia w/unit (including dongle) and drivers.

for an approx equiv amount I can get a WaveLan (but still would need
funding for the driver)

OR get a serial cable/dongle assembly for direct to Mac comm. (This is
the least appealing to me on general principles. Others solutions seem
more 'elegant' to me. But, a solution is a solution..)

Any feedback apprceciated...

Is there a <DIFFERENT> option I don't know about?

Oh, and I'd be remiss..
About cults...seems people find 'value' in these products. Saab ain't
Yugo. Oh, and much the same could probaly be said about Havana machanics
and 55 Chevy's.

By the way, sign me

DeadHead and proud!

Thanks