Re: [NTLK] I am my own grandpa (sysadmin?)

From: Adamson_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 14:20:22 PST

In a message dated 11/2/2005 2:50:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tech_ed_at_yahoo.com writes:
If this is truly the case, then your IT people are
stupid and incompetent and should be fired. It is
uncalled for incompetence like this, that needs to be
made an example of. There are far too many so-called
"IT support *experts*" who can't tell their SMTP from
their SNMP. (if you can't and you're in IT, then get
out now before you hurt someone)
I was given an IBM T42 at a new job after I left
MCI/UUNET and within one day, I had scrounged a second
monitor to run dual displays, fixed the IT's
configuration of the wireless network, solved world
hunger and developed a cure for cancer! (ok, those
last two I didn't really do...but it sure sounds good
on a resume!)
Of course, I'm not a normal user, but this isn't
rocket science! I mean, it's not like I had to write a
new display driver for my video card and recompile the
kernel (linux anyone?) to get it done!

Sorry for the rant.
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- Norman Palardy <npalardy_at_great-white-software.com>
wrote:

<snip>.

> My personal favorite was getting a IBM ThinkPad to
> drive dual monitors
> when running Windows NT.
> That took the support guys several months to get
> working reliably.
> The whole while I had my old PowerBook G3 hooked up
> and doing it from
> the moment I sat down on my first day.

I have a question for all of you expert "IT" guys/gals. I am asking this
with reverence and sincerity.

If one had just basic computer knowledge, how would one go about acquiring
greater expertise? Are there any recognized methods? If computer science
degrees are suspect, what methodology works? Is there a recommended path or
books or just how does one go about learning more than just the average user
possesses? I realize the answer might be something along the lines of "depends
on what you want to do." If there is a roadmap for gaining general computer
expertise, I would like to hear what it is.

Thanks for any consideration you choose to give this somewhat radical
question that does not relate to Newton directly.

Bob Adamson