Re: [NTLK] Native installer for NCU and OS X Update

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 18:49:36 PST

On 11/18/05 2:05 AM, Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net> wrote:
> on 17/11/05 04:03, Martin Joseph at martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com wrote:
>> ... you bored us to sleep with all your verbage ;~)
>> Talking about it isn't doing it. If you want an OSX ready NCU
>> replacement, get busy.
> Or, in other words, do something.

Gentlemen, your tactful words of wisdom do little more than maintain the
status quo. "Talk about projects" may weary you, but it does keep the topic
in the public eye. And as I stated before, this project would require the
support of the entire Newton community to not only initiate it, but also
bring it to completion.

I have no experience myself to embark upon such a programming task alone,
otherwise I would be drafting code right now. Programming 8-bit MCU's for
security systems (what I do) is not the same as writing a Macintosh OS X
application. But should this mean I must cower in a corner and no longer
participate in keeping the topic alive? It is my hope that someone who does
have such an ability (to program Mac OS X software) may read us talking
about this NCU Replacement project and consider "getting busy" in
cooperation with all of us.

To simply sit in utter silence and "do something" (which neither of you
define) without interaction from the Newton community is ludicrous.
Further, remarks like "stop boring us" and "get busy" only work to frighten
others from posting here for fear of similar verbal retribution.

With that said, I admit that all-talk-and-no-action (as a group) serves no
productive purpose in the long run, but talk is vital in the early stages of
any project. Let us therefore be more constructive about "encouraging
verbiage" on this topic, not spend time discouraging it. If you have ideas,
share them! That was my appeal in my last post, nothing more.

--James Wages