[NTLK] Ergonomics question. How do you hold your Newton 2x00?

From: Jon Scordia (jscordia_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 15:15:53 PST

I'm beginning to see why no-one to date has come up with a lightweight support for the Newton!!!

Ok, after the first full day using my Newt 2000 on a stand, and in view of really useful feedback like Franks, I would really welcome other 2x00 user's feedback on this question.

I have realised today that the only really successful way of getting good reliable (in my case cursive) text recognition from the machine is all to do with hand position, ie I either rest the palm of the hand on the plastic lump below the screen, with the Newt on something solid, or hold the Newt firmly and tuck the forearm tight against the body to again limit the wrist movement.

In both cases you naturally put your hand into a position where you can mark the screen accurately and quite firmly. If the 'pivot' of fingers, wrist or arm is too long, the script tends to break up and text recognition fails. I have always thought that one of the Newton's plus points is it's size and weight. My P910i phone is argueably a higher spec (HWR aside) but is really awkward to use.

The Newt 2000 is simply superb to use on the train between offices.

So the Newton doesnt skip about as Frank feared, it's just not in the right place for good HWR.

It HAS proved really useful for propping up on the desk, making the display of Action Names' Agenda and To do's etc constantly visible. In that context it's easy to poke the screen and make short additions, but longer text entries feel simpler by keyboard.

Comments welcome, even if its to tell me to 'shut up about that stand already!'

But as they say 'how do you use yours?'

Regards

Jon