Re: [NTLK] Bluetooth unhappiness: Any advice?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 14:13:59 PST

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Bluetooth unhappiness: Any advice?
From: Martin Joseph <martyNT () barknaturalpet ! com>
Date: 2005-11-30 8:03:31

>> Recently, this is not working any more. I'm transferring (or trying to
>> transfer) several items in a batch. The first will show up in the In
>> box, then the next will transfer nearly completely, but before it is
>> shown in the In box, the whole thing aborts on my Newton. The error
>> message tells me there is no sufficient memory either on internal
>> store
>> or the card I'm installing to (well, but THERE IS! On both! PLENTY!).
>> And since a few days, this doesn't even work with single files
>> anymore. I've just tried a package of 1,2 MB, which transferred nearly
>> completely, and then the transfer went b0rk again.
>
> Perhaps the memory on the Newton is fragmented in some way? Did you
> try backing it up and restoring it using NCU? That's what I would
> try... I would try just a reset first, but I presume you already did
> that.

Naw, didn't do the backing up/brainwipe/restore thing yet. I mean, yo
bro', there's 750 kb on internal and 5 MB on the card and all installs
are straight to card, so what gives...?! Should be enough space to
accommodate a meagre 1,2 MB.

Won't likely be heap issues either, as I haven't got any new pacakges
running and keep about everything I don't actively use frozen to keep
heap loss low... And I've checked the FAQ, it doesn't say anything
about that problem, either (doesn't say anything at all about
Bluetooth, if you believe
http://www.google.com/search?
q=bluetooth+site%3Awww.chuma.org%2Fnewton%2Ffaq&meta=).
This
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/BluetoothTroubleShooting
is the closest we have to a Newton-Bluetooth-Troubleshooting-FAQ, and
it is pathetic (courtesy of all Blunt users besides Brian Spylaw being
happy customers...?).

Any other ideas?

Eckhart, do you have any pointers for me?

> PS Maybe there is a big bluetooth testing facility that just moved
> in next door to you ;~)

There is? Huh? Beg yer what? Gotta miss some subtext here. Uh, lost in
translation, like. You wanna say you or some other experimental minded
Newton-friend relocated to here for Christmas?
(Which reminds me--anybody know of any IT jobs in Winnipeg, Ca.? Got a
buddy left here with wife and keedz for the home country who's inter
unicks, pearls and moose. Or was it UNIX, Perl and Zambonis? Anyhow, if
you got a spare job to do wiv computahs in Winnipeg or thereabouts,
pls. drop me a line offlist. Thanks!)

> From: Brian <spylaw4 () mac ! com>
> Date: 2005-11-30 6:38:52
>
> Ha! At least you had Bluetooth working. I can't get my recently
> acquired 2100 to pair with my Mac at all, despite having read
> and followed all the info/guidance on the wiki.

Bummer. Well, you could pull a backup, install only Blunt and related
files and try from scratch, logging every single step you do. This
might help in diagnosing where things went wrong.

Else it could be your card. Is it on the compatibility list? Have you
selected the proper driver in Blunt? Does it test okay with Blunt (if
not,
it could be damaged)? Hmh, you could send the card over and have me try
it out. Mebbe worky here.

D.