[NTLK] eMate 300 Battery Charge Question

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 06:56:16 PDT

Quick dumb question:

Just experimenting with an eMate I picked up on eBay a few days ago,
along with a "new" 1997 eMate battery.

The eMate runs fine when I plug it into the standard Newton 9w power
supply; boots, displays, runs great.

Problem is, the old black stock battery that arrived in the eMate will
not hold any charge whatsoever, nor will another "spare" green eMate
"new" battery I got on eBay from a different Seller, all sealed up in
it's new box, either hold a charge, even if I let either of them charge
over night. As soon as I unplug the external power and then hit the
power switch on the eMate to boot it on, nothing.

Probably BOTH of these batteries are so long in the tooth that neither
is going to do anything regardless of what I do, or, neither battery is
getting any power from the eMate to begin with to charge up, or, maybe
the power supply I'm using [the same one I use, 9w, on my Newton that is
fine] is maybe the wrong one to be using on the eMate.

Any other suggestions? Next thing I'd check would be to pop out the
battery from the eMate and put a voltmeter on the battery plug in the
eMate's logic board to see if it's putting out power to the batteries.

TIA, John