[NTLK] Subject: Re: Cracked u2100 case: No battery conne

From: Frederick Bauman (fbauman_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 20:02:20 PDT

>> My trusty u2100 developed a brittle case and some cracks occurred in
>> the bezel around the screen and case by the cover hinge next to the
>> power switch. It will only work off the AC adaptor. If I squeeze or
>> twist the case I can get it to partially accept the battery for a few
>> seconds, but then it goes back to not seeing it.
>>

> Provided that the battery contacts are clean, this looks like a bad
> battery contact in the Newton. Usually it is the positive contact,
> i. e.
> the one that contacts the rectangular battery contact. In rare cases
> the culprit can be the fact that the spring that presses the negative
> contact against the battery pack has become unseated.

Good idea, Frank

I took my Newton apart to check all the contacts. They look clean
and everything appears to be fine. The only contact that appears to
be suspect is the small one that faces toward the inside/top. The
battery pack I have is a rebuilt case and I think it might be having
problems. I don't know much about this and will reference an article
I've seen on how to do this to see if it is the problem.
I've used Avi's Backdrop to see when the battery is being sensed. If
I press the end of the battery and the side of the Newton I can get a
current. Sometimes I can get it to see the battery if the back of the
Newton is off and the battery is slid in.
Wacky!