Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]

From: Matthew Reidsma (mreidsma_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 04:34:20 PDT

Melissa Mintel wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Is there a database for the Newton from which I could export files
> to FileMaker 7 or 8?

Melissa,

This is a question I have long debated as well, but I've been looking
for answers before I shell out the cash to upgrade from FM4. There are a
few options, but I'm going to guess that newer versions of FMPro will
not work as well with these older formats.

Rhonda Hyslop wrote up a very helpful Wiki page last year reviewing all
of the various database programs for the Newton (Manually find it as
"OrganiseInformation" under "UNNAReviews"):

http://tinyurl.com/8a74p

That said, she doesn't mention Filemaker compatibility, but from what I
understand, both Leverage and FilePad have this ability. I haven't
tested this, so perhaps someone who has can chime in. If the
import/export functions and file structure of FMPro haven't changed much
over the years, then you might be in luck. Worst case you could probably
find a very convoluted way to dump everything into a tab delimited file
that you could work with. Saving a few pounds on that long trip might
make the work worth it in the end.

Leverage: http://www.balconessoftware.com/

Filepad is available free on UNNA.

Good luck!