Re: [NTLK] Major Accomplishments of the Newton Community

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 02:12:24 EDT

Just a bit of a clarification.....

On 4/9/06, Apostolos Koutropoulos <der_admiral@mac.com> wrote:
> * We have various online sources such as newtontalk which came in 1999.

Actually, Newtontalk has been around much, much, much longer than
that. Victor is merely the third listowner of NTLK. The first was Sean
O'Shaughnessey, who started the list back in the early days of the
Newton, before, I believe, even the 120 appeared on the scene. It was
about the time that the 120/NOS 2.0 came out that I joined NTLK. Sean
kept it going until about the time (shortly thereafter, actually) that
Apple abandoned the Newton. From there, PlanetNewton took over for a
while, but it wasn't a happy marriage between the list and them, and,
in the end, the list was literally abandoned by its owner, and Victor
picked up the pieces, and the list has gone full-bore since!

> Oh, one last thing - UNNA has sort of a mission statement: " UNNA
> started around September 2000, and was founded by Victor Rehorst out
> of the ashes of the NewtonMAD Cleanup initiative.

> (also what is the NewtonMAD Cleanup initiative? - this is the first time
> that I hear about this)

 It's been a long time ago, and there were actually a couple
initiatives going one, and UNNA ended up being the phoenix that rose
from the ashes of the two of them. But NewtonMad, I believe, was the
more ambitious of the two, but it was overwhelmed, and its owner kind
of abandoned it, IIRC....

Man, it's been a while since I read those words! And I wish I could
remember the name of the other initiative. The other, I believe, was
an attempt to keep copies of essential software from
disappearing--such as NCU, and the PocketQuicken packages and desktop
apps, among others (Lotus Org for Windows?) But, as I said, both
attempts kind of died, and UNNA arose from those...

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland