Re: [NTLK] Halfway towards a 'Getting Things Done' solution?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 10:46:23 EDT

Steven Frank wrote:
> Just to continue the discussion: As far as the methods described in
> "Getting Things Done" The Book, I am surprised at how well Adam Tow's
> NewtToDo meshes with the process.
> Since basically in GTD you are just keeping a series of lists -- your
> big project and "someday" lists, and your smaller next action lists
> by context. You can make folders for all of those in NewtToDo, and
> without much effort, filter down to just one context or list. It's
> also easy to attach various note stationaries to a to-do, for your
> supporting information.
>
> I took a serious look at MoreInfo for the first time last night and
> was kind of heartbroken. I am absolutely in love with the linking
> capabilities, but this software seems like it was designed for folks
> who primarily deal with PEOPLE. I primarily deal with TASKS.
> Moreover, UNDATED tasks. Things that I need to do, but don't have a
> hard deadline. I also don't really care about task priorities, since
> I sort of inherently know what I should be working on. I'm mainly in
> it for the memory jogs. MI adds so much to the Newton's interface
> that it kind of makes my head explode.

Have you ever taken a look at Life Balance? That is a to do list on
steroids. I use mine all the time. It is a very flexible system. I
just wish they had a faster way of making entries (like a keyboard
button on the entry slip along with a "new" or "next" to make entry
faster). But other than those two minor annoyances it is one great
piece of software. You can organize by locations, projects, lists, and
every quickly increase the importance of a entire list/project. It can
also generate a list based on where are you are at the moment. For
example it won't suggest to go get groceries while you are at work etc.
 I can also generate a pie chart showing where your time is going and
you can set goals for the various projects.

-Dan