Re: [NTLK] Going for a Newton

From: Thomas Bockhorn <historian.thomas_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 16:52:09 EDT

Well Seb

A Newton 2100, I feel is one of the best PDA's that were ever made. I
simply love its hand writing recognization. It also has a great deal
of software for free that you can download. I am pretty new into this
and I am hooked. I am planning to use it for taking notes during
classes.
The one downside to the Newton is that it is as bulky as a brick. Its
quite light with a battery pack (though I recommend you use the AA
tray since those battery packs are probably too old to hold a charge)
You can get one on ebay.

Thomas

On 8/4/06, Seb Payne <seb@sebpayne.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone
> I've always been interested in Newton and the associated community. I have
> recently purchased a Palm Z22 which is a small, simple PDA and it does me
> fine - the screen is small and the handwriting area is difficult to use due
> to size but it has great battery. I'm now thinking about getting a Newton to
> see if it is any better (I've used Einstein and I'm liking what I'm
> seeing!). I've read various sites, FAQs, Wikis ans so on but I have the
> following questions:
>
> a.) I've never seen a real Newton - can anyone related how big a 2000/2100
> is to everyday objects?
> b.) How heavy is a 2000/2100 with battery pack?
> c.) Can anyone give any comments on email/internet support - I hear it isn't
> brilliant but any user comments?
> d.) I've been talked to 'knowledgenavigator' (www.newtonsales.com) and I can
> get a 'good condition' 2100 for $189 which seems a lot to me. The $89 ones
> aren't in that good nick. Any thoughts on this pricing (I'm in the UK so I'd
> be interested to hear if anyone has a 2000/2100 for sale in the UK)?
> e.) Is there much difference between getting a 2000/21000 - can't the extra
> memory just be added?
> f.) How stable are the syncing solutions for Tiger 10.4 - are they being
> developed or not?
>
> My main concern is that it is will be too big - I'm only a teenager so I
> don't want to go around carrying something that is gonna make me look stupid
> :-)
>
> Thanks All!
>
> --
> Seb Payne
> www.sebpayne.com
>

> --

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who
points out how the strong man stumbles or where
the doer of deeds could have done better. The
credit belongs to the man who is actually in the
arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat
and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and
comes up short again and again, because there
is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who
knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions,
who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at
the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high
achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails,
at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his
place shall never be with those cold and timid
souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt