Re: [NTLK] Lighting up my Newton

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 17:04:51 EDT

~~~ On 2006/08/15 09:59, Ian Strom at macjunky@uniserve.com wrote ~~~

> Quite right, why do people from other countries think they speak
> worse English than they actually do?
> I know a Swedish fellow who keeps insisting that his English is bad
> even though it is very good.
> So, Frank, just relax, your English is really quite good and there is
> no need to fret. Everyone makes mistakes every now and then, they are
> human.
-- snip --

... And anyway, some of us who are considered fluent in English actually
enjoy such coincidences of words. Puns have a long and venerable place in
English (as in most other languages that allow them) and the unexpected
humour illuminates the interaction without disturbing the communication
(usually). They were good enough for Shakespeare; they're good enough for
the rest of us.

Personally, I quite appreciated the "sinus voltage" and have passed it on to
several friends, making no reference to whether it was a mistake or not, who
likewise enjoyed it. One of them already has taken to using "sinus waves"
all the time at work (he's a tech). And now it's becoming the fashion
around him.

Your English is commendable; I wish I spoke *any* other non-dead language as
well.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
            -- in appreciation of Arthur C. Clarke

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/