[NTLK] NiMH batteries and connectivity

From: Russell Gordon <russellwgordon_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 21:11:43 EDT

Hi all,

I'm new to the list and a proud owner of an MP2000 for the last few
days. Already starting to find it indispensable.

Two questions:

1) Can I use NiMH rechargeable batteries with my Newton? I've
noticed standard double-A alkalines provide 1.5V and this is what the
text in the battery tray specifies. However, all the NiMH double-A
batteries I have seen (Duracell, Energizer, Panasonic, etc) all
provide just 1.2V. Will the lower voltage cause a problem?

2) What is my best option for establishing a way to transfer files to
and from my G4 iMac? Some info:

- I already have a USB-to-serial adapter cable
- My Newton did not come with the Newton Serial Adapter
- I'm keen to get an 802.11 card working, but -- don't I need to
install downloaded drivers to get it working (chicken-and-egg problem)
- Is there a flash-based storage card that I could also use with my
iMac, to shuttle files back and forth that way?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any input. If anyone
is interested I am blogging the experience with my Newton here:

http://web.mac.com/russellwgordon/iWeb/weblog/bits_and_bites/
bits_and_bites.html

Russ Gordon
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada