Re: [NTLK] Update!

From: Michael Blazer <m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca>
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 14:59:55 EDT

Quoting Clark Huke <clark.huke@gmail.com>:

> I finally got System 8 running on my iMac G3. I installed IrDA
> Package Installer, and everything works great until it asks for a pkg
> file to install. They are right on my desktop and it can't find them.
> Same thing with NewtonDIL TesterPPC. It sucks because one is super
> important pkg:.
> Ethernet Drivers-Farallon Etherwave
>
> ..., and some games and stuff.
> Neither of those two apps see the pkg files. What do I do!?
> -Clark

Just a long shot, if you're running OS X as well as OS 8 on the same machine -- I had the
same problem once until I realized that the two operating systems don't share the same
desktop folder. Probably obvious to you, but it wasn't to me when I first started using OS X.

If that's not the problem, then it could be that your package files don't have the right
file/creator codes. A generic icon would be a strong clue. PackType is a little app that
can fix that for you. Here's a d/l link (I can't tell if it works because I'm at the
office where I'm firewalled and URL-blocked up the wazoo.)

http://www.pda-soft.de/packtype.sit.hqx

HTH,
Michael