Re: [NTLK] Ebay/Paypal (Was: [FS or T] Mac and newton related gear)

From: Peter Fraser <pjfraser_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Dec 15 2006 - 09:50:11 EST

I had one of these inflated shipping charge scams happen to me just
this week which really took the cake. I bought a book from someone
in the midwest, and although it was clear that 4th Class Media Mail
(book rate) postage would be used, she still charged me about 5x the
rate, and about 2x the cost of the book. When I challenged that, I
got a long, condescending screed about "overhead costs."

But when the package arrived, I found out what some of my extra money
had gone to - she'd included, unbidden and presumptively, a copy of
the christian new testament. it wasn't even the whole book, although
the cover was in the currently-trendy (or is it "necessary") desert
camouflage pattern.

Worked out fine; i recycled it. But what a hoot that someone would
scam you into buying something additional, masqueraded as shipping or
overhead costs.