Re: [NTLK] eMate Battery Project

From: John (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 08:02:04 PST

>Let's hope that nobody ever does short the battery out accidently.
>If this happens, you will soon learn why Apple supplies all eMate
>and 2x00 packs with the PolySwitch component...

Hi Frank,

Just wanted to thank you for pointing out the dreadful mistake I made in
my battery-pack project.

Thank you for noting the omission of the PolyCell and noting it's
critical design function. I totally overlooked this.

Temporarily I reworked my project notes here to warn others of my mistake:
<http://www.1234zzzz.com/pub/eMateBatts.jpg>

I had a few questions about batteries so if you don't mind me asking you
for your expertise here goes .....

1. What happens when the batteries short out, fire, explosion, ***out-of-
body experience ?
2. I wonder if early eMates were designed without the PolyCell and they
added it later out of experience ?
3. I used RadioShack(TM) 2500 mAH AA cells. I think the original batts
were only like 1500 mAH or so but my old ones were unmarked, so do you
see any issues with using the higher mAH's ?
4. Why the variation between 1.2 vs. 1.5 VDC in rechargable vs. standard
batteries, and is this going to be a charging problem form me to use the
RadioShack batteries with the standard eMate or Newton charger?

Thanks again for catching my mistake!

Cheers,

peace,

John

*** ...just kidding ;-) I know I shouldn't as this is a serious matter
but I'm rotten to the core a rebel <g>.