Re: [NTLK] What the Newton "essence" is? - WAS: "Upgrading NIE" (the Newton is nearly dead)

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Wed Jun 07 2006 - 02:39:51 EDT

On Jun 6, 2006, at 7:54 PM, Ben Wojtyna wrote:
<snip>
> I think the newton, as well as more idealistic versions of Mac OS,
> were
> more usable because of their following to standards such as these.
> <snip>

As a former software developer and a user (still) I have mixed feelings
about this. It's very true that a CLEAR and widespread understanding
of how a good interface should look (ie Macintosh UI guidelines) can
radically help make software easier for the user.

It's also true that rules are meant to be broken. Hopefully a better
interface paradigm emerges from the current stew we are wading in...
Marty