Re: [NTLK] Screen polish?

From: Don Zahniser <irntooth_at_eznet.net>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2006 - 12:11:14 EST

On Mar 31, 2006, at 9:55 AM, L.W. Brown wrote:

> Remember, the top layer is the plastic film digitizer - be very, very
> cautious...
> Has anyone ever tried using that paint-on, eye-glass scratch-repair
> fluid? (I got mine from a TV add - it isn't so great on glasses, but
> still has its uses...)

In a similar vein to the above, I have used one of the pencil/crayons
that are for hiding scratches on glasses. The 'crayon' is applied to a
clean surface in the vicinity of the scratches, and buffed with a clean
lens cleaning tissue. It's a wax that has a similar refractive index to
glass, and tends to hide scratches (on my glasses - very well,
indeed!).

 From the time I bought it second-hand, my MP2100 has had a lot of very
obvious wear spots from on-screen keyboard usage and other applications
(e.g. - marks where the Works spreadsheet data field lies on the
screen).

On my MP2100, the wear spots were so distracting that almost anything
would be better, and I wouldn't be making things much worse. I was
(and still am) concerned that the wax might trap dirt and dust
particles and further scratch the screen, but after having used the
product a few times over the past year, I don't see significant
additional wear, and the product does improve the appearance and
readability of the screen. The areas that 'accept' the product are very
slightly darker, but match the reflectivity of the rest of the screen
much better than without.

N.B. - I would never use anything like this on a screen in good
condition. I would rate mine as only fair at best. Been thinking
about a replacement screen.

--
Don V. Zahniser