Re: [NTLK] works - footnotes

From: Norman Palardy <npalardy_at_great-white-software.com>
Date: Sun May 14 2006 - 14:04:10 EDT

On May 14, 2006, at 3:49 AM, Eric Engle wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thank you all for your ideas; Well, basically it is
> like this, I don't have a problem with making my own
> notes using some markup code and then converting after
> exporting from works to word.
>
> What my real problem is, is how to import a word
> document with footnotes to works as rtf - retaining
> the footnotes.
>
> The footnotes could come accross as rtf styl escape
> sequences
> (i think that is like this)
> /* code */
>
> it doesn't have to be pretty, but the notes can't just
> be swallowed whole by the doc=>rtf=>works conversion.
>
> I'll try to see whether i get any further on my own
> but my earlier experiments resulted in imported text
> but lost footnotes :(

It's possible that Notes simply supports an old version of RTF that
does not handle the footers.
RTF's do permit footers, but some applications don't know how to
handle them.
If you create an RTF in Word, saved it as RTF and then opened it in
Word again, the footers are there.
If you open the RTF in TextEdit, TextEdit does not show the footers.
And if you edit the document and save it in textEdit the footers get
stripped out.

If you use textutil and do

        textutil -convert

to convert a document to some other format most of the conversions it
can do strip the footers.

I haven't followed this entire thread closely, but I have been poking
about with a number of tools on OS X that can convert from one format
to another, and RTF is one of them but it seems the OS X tools
support a slightly older version of the RTF spec