Re: [NTLK] Shout out to developers

From: Andrew Smallshaw <andrews_at_sdf.lonestar.org>
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 12:15:31 EDT

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 11:20:08PM +0200, Roman Pixell [GMail] wrote:
> well, the main idea is that open source projects do not always have
> the force to survive, while commercial projects sometimes do. OS X
> is, IRC, based on NetBSD. while OS X is expanding its user base
> bayond belief these days, NetBSD has not travelled the same paths.

MacOS X is based primarily on NeXT/Openstep, Mach and FreeBSD.
Given that there is quite a lot of code transfer between Net and
FreeBSD in both directions, there may well be some NetBSD code in
there but it's not a major contributor.

I wouldn't say it's dead either - it's my primary OS and it's
getting new developers all the time. In fact the development cycle
has sped up recently to a new major release every year - IMHO that's
too fast to be upgrading an OS...

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org