Re: [NTLK] The day the Newton died it's final death...

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 16:02:02 EST

$600 for a phone (one heck of a phone, but a phone nontheless) is rather steep...and locking people into a 2 year contract is rediculous. With average cellphone ownership in the US at 18 months or less, the cellphone has become a disposable commodity. Heck, I can't see myself spending $600 every 2 years to get a new cell...but $200 or $300? That's possible, but not very likely.
  On the flip side of things, I've had my Newt since the '90s and have no intention of replacing it yet.

  There's a lot to like on the new iPhone, but I can see more failures in the iPhone than positives.
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Sam Speake <sam.speake@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> The 2 year cingular contract on the other hand makes it out of the
> question.
> Marty

I agree, If you consider how fast the ipods get updated (every 6
months or less) then
the iPhone will be long out of date by the time your contract expires.

I'm not sure if they will be able to make those contract demands here
in the UK as people
here really like there phones and updating them. Its a cool phone but
<snip>

Don't You Love Mistyping URL's....
....when they turn out to be pretty neat.

In this case I was trying for Engadget.com, and instead wound up at www.edgadget.com which appears to have lots of Newton software.

 - ProfessorF from the UK pcpro/macuser forum