Re: [NTLK] Nokia 770

From: James Grubic <james.grubic_at_bsd7.org>
Date: Tue Jul 24 2007 - 11:17:19 EDT

It all depends on what you want to use it for.

My immediate need was for reading eBooks and mild web browsing, and for
that it is perfect. I was tired of constantly scrolling on my Treo.

The web browsing seems to take a few seconds to connect to the WiFi, and
a few seconds to display. It's not enough of a delay that I would gripe
about it, since it serves its function at a small size.

I do agree that the handwriting recognition is unusable, but I am fine
with the keyboard for now. As I said in my original post, I will need to
play with deleting all of the HR presets and start anew to really figure
out if the HR deficiency can be solved. A long-time Newton user who
depended on the HR will no doubt be very disappointed.

A few people who contacted me off list were also looking for something
to simply read eBooks. I have absolutely no problem recommending it for
that purpose. The FBreader programs allows greater customisability in
the UI than any other eBook reader I have seen. It can't read encrypted
eBooks, however. The screen as mentioned is gorgeous.

The N800 seems to have a larger form factor and I don't like the silver
case. The black casing on the N700 is less obtrusive. The protective
housing that comes with it is very thoughtful and will no doubt extend
the life of the unit.

I got mine new in unopened box off eBay for $124, and I feel that it was
a good deal.

James