Re: [NTLK] A bit of a mystery

From: Steven Frank <stevenf_at_panic.com>
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 16:18:35 EDT

On Mar 19, 2007, at 11:13 AM, matthiasm wrote:

> Yes, that is the typical WindowsCE behavior. One or two Palm models
> did that too, driving the owners nuts and away from Palm until they
> decided to come back to buffered RAM.

The stupid thing about this is it's STILL possible to lose everything.

Exhibit A: My wife's Palm TX. This is a flash-based device, so if
the battery dies, your data lives on. OK, great. Took 'em ten years
to figure it out, but better late than never, right?

Until one day a few weeks ago, I guess the planets weren't aligned
right or something... she tapped a relatively innocuous button, and
the thing went into a reset loop and finally rebooted into a freshly-
wiped, out-of-the-box state, asking her to re-calibrate her pen and
tell her which city she lived in, etc. All data gone! Bye data!

Fortunately everything was "backed up" by virtue of having been
synced from iCal, but COME ON. A device where a piece of user-level
application software with a bug can cause a hard factory reset? Well
done, Palm. Good luck with that buyout. I'm sure they'll be lining up.

Steven
http://panic.com/
http://stevenf.com/