Re: [NTLK] Bookmaker for osx

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Sun Nov 11 2007 - 14:29:12 EST

On Nov 11, 2007 1:41 AM, James Nichols <smilr@mac.com> wrote:

> I exist I swear!

There he is!

> My book maker project became REALLY bogged down once I got into the text rendering mechanisms on OS X. Basically, the cocoa text manipulation interface widgets don't like the old screen-only fonts that NewtonPress and the Newton used. Combine my inability to focus on learning how to convert them to truetype fonts with a goal of pixel-accurrate on screen rendering to match that of a real newton (and thus proper pagination) and I sort of threw up my hands in disgust.

Maybe Grant would be willing to give you tips on converting those
fonts to TrueType and such. I think that's right up his alley.

> Along the way I've convinced my program to read in and display the text of a newtonbook without many hiccups, was exploring image support, and have nifty GUI / command line tools for delving into the contents / structure of newton .pkg files.

That's excellent news. Having a good renderer/preview and
understanding of the Newton Book format is the likely the biggest step
in the project.

[snip]

> A couple of my updates may have been lost along the move to a new server... I'm still trying to sort out where everything was stored when things went kablooie a couple months ago. Anyway:
>
> http://www.smilr.net/nxpress/

Many thanks for the update! I'll change my bookmarks and note it on my
site so hopefully you get indexed again.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/