Re: [NTLK] Bookmaker for osx

From: James Nichols <smilr_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Nov 11 2007 - 01:41:28 EST

I exist I swear!

;)

My book maker project became REALLY bogged down once I got into the text rendering mechanisms on OS X. Basically, the cocoa text manipulation interface widgets don't like the old screen-only fonts that NewtonPress and the Newton used. Combine my inability to focus on learning how to convert them to truetype fonts with a goal of pixel-accurrate on screen rendering to match that of a real newton (and thus proper pagination) and I sort of threw up my hands in disgust.

Along the way I've convinced my program to read in and display the text of a newtonbook without many hiccups, was exploring image support, and have nifty GUI / command line tools for delving into the contents / structure of newton .pkg files.

Other projects (car computer and writing it's associated music player software, work, more work, moving, paintball) have eroded my time for the book project.

Considering classic is GONE, I'm likely to start work on it again soon. At the very least I'll revamp my website, and put some of my work up for download (open sourcing this thing in the long run - but my code right now is SOOO sloppy).

As for the website being down ... when I started this project my site was hosted by a friend, and along the way I picked up my own server / domain name... but never changed the links to point to my local server instead of my friend. He and his server have truly disappeared from this earth so I guess it's time to actually update my links.

A couple of my updates may have been lost along the move to a new server... I'm still trying to sort out where everything was stored when things went kablooie a couple months ago. Anyway:

http://www.smilr.net/nxpress/