Re: [NTLK] ATA Support (was: Connecting my Newton-Questions!)

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Aug 13 2008 - 23:12:26 EDT

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 7:42 PM, James Wages <james@kiramek.com> wrote:
> But when my 32MB died, a soft reset didn't work, so I had to press and hold
> the reset button on back for a few seconds.

Yeah I hear you James. A hard reset at times is needed but there is the
warning we are given about doing it and the risks we take to get back on
track with the Newton...

> But after doing that, the Newt rebooting but not all the way. I could see
> packages had loaded but it appeared frozen. So I had to press the reset
> button on back a couple more times. In the end, I thought removing the
> batteries would work, but after that the linear card was no longer
> recognized in the Newt; however, the Newt wasn't locked up anymore on boot
> either.

Yeah, :( removing power or what is considered or called a dirty reboot is
hazardous to the Newton which has a Flash Card installed. Unfortunately we
don't know when it can cause irreparable damage. I've don't it so many times
myself but one of these days I may end up in th same boat as shall the rest
of us...

> So I know for a fact through this experience that multiple resets (and
> possibly battery removal) zapped that EEPROM to its death.

Now this can be considered the first real documented case of the Flash Card
going full bad where the CIS is damaged beyond recovery at least for now...

/-/-/-/-/-/-/
> >I did spot a cheap 256MB Linear card, but I've never read on NewtonTalk if
> >such massive cards are even compatible with the Newton. If they are, I
> >would have expected someone to have spoken about it in the past.

Let me do a preemptive response to your inquiry.
Normally I'd defer to PCBman but I did a search on eBay for the 256MB Linear
card you mentioned.
I found one which is likely the one you found and peering at the picture of
the auction I notice it labeled ATA PC Card.
If this is the card then the answer is No and Yes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Smart-Modular-256-MB-Linear-Flash-PC-Card-SG9PC256-C_W0QQitemZ360052504156QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

No it will not work at all natively.
Yes ti will work if you first install ATA driver developed by Paul.

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

I have a 350MB Flash Disk PC Card ATA in my possesion.

Any thoughts on the size vs. compatibility of linear flash for the 2100?

Regular Flash Cards up to now most responses are that a 32 MB is the largest
commonly discussed that will work.
Of course the 20 MB cards are more common.
As another person responded that a 64 MB was possible - That I'm not sure of
nore have I seen this first hand....
It may work.

James much success to you....

--