Re: [NTLK] No New Newt [OT]

From: Riccardo Mori <rick_at_poc.it>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 06:53:44 EST

        Ed Kummel:

> So yeah...Apple's idea is nice..but it's a bit of "been there, done
> that".
> Again, Apple takes an already been used idea, repackages it into a
> nice sleek package and calls it "new technology". In fact, what
> Apple is proposing is something that I have been doing in almost
> every job I've had since 2001! I'm not impressed.

I don't recall Jobs talking about the feature of connecting to a
shared optical drive in terms of "new technology". Anyway, with this
feature, Apple may not be proposing anything new, but is there
actually a PC equivalent of the MacBook Air _without_ the optical
drive, to save space and weight? Other subnotebooks by Sony or Samsung
(to name two) prefer sacrificing screen estate and even processor
power, but retain the CD/DVD drive. (Yes, they're smaller in length
and width, and some will accept that tradeoff. I, for one, can't and
won't work on anything with a screen smaller than 12").

Sometimes innovation is not a matter of technology per se (the
miniaturisation of the electronics in the Air motherboard is worth
noting, though), but a matter of decisions. I remember the first iMac
G3, ten years ago, without a floppy drive. Submerged by complaints and
criticism. Then, when the dust settled, everybody else followed the
example.

r.

--
The Rizland Observer