Re: [NTLK] Mini notebooks

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 12:28:15 EDT

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Kostas Theofilis <roufianos@mac.com> wrote:

> As a conclusion, I think that Eee got famous because of the low price.
> People were used to relate "small size" to "hefty price" (well at
> least regarding computers!!, hehe)
> But actually the compromises are too many. And now that the prices go
> up (and the size also) I think that this class of machines are only
> useful for "laptop for the couch" use.

My wife has a 701 Surf, and she is quite happy with it. She uses it
for web, email and games, as well as the occasional document (using it
more to read attachments than anything)--oh, and ebooks! :-) She has
had almost no system problems. It's been quite stable. It fits in her
purse, and she carries it rather frequently. When looked at for what
it is--a light-use second computer (or third, for geeking out with),
or a computer for non-computer geeks, it does quite well. It's _won't_
replace your normal computer, and that wasn't its intent--although, to
be honest, my wife's computer is sitting on her desk most of the time,
now, turned off. :-)

As to the 901. All the comparison pics I've seen show it to be not
enough larger from the 701 to make size an issue at all. It's
well-nigh insignificant, IMO. That's thanks to that hated bezel in the
701. :-)

Personally, I'm currently debating beween an MSI Wind or N800....
can't decide... I'm thinking and hoping a Wind would replace my Pismo
as my main computer for most things (as it's faster, and more "oomph")
and also be almost as portable as the N800 for what I need the N800
for.... Although the Wind won't run the Palm OS nor Einstein (unless
I... ahem.... hack it...)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland