[NTLK] [Poutine] Poutine and wines (Was Re: Test message. Are we still here?)

From: Abraham Limpo Martínez <abraham_at_familialimpo.net>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 19:56:33 EDT

There is no such thing as Poutine in spain BUT as a fellow newtonian I
have tasted poutine, and by tasted I meant I had to bother my english
teacher to help me translate a recipe and I had to prepare it myself.
Despite my best intentions I have to admit it didn't go very well and it
has not become an staple of my diet.

As for the wine.. a young
Rioja(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rioja_%28wine%29) should be fine.
Because of its type of aging, it gets a disctint strong dry taste which
gets well with strong aromas (like cheese). I personally prefer the
"Crianza" ones (2-3 years) to the "Reserva" or "Gran Reserva", wich add
at least 1-3 addittional years of maceration in oak barrels, because
they tend to develop a too much dryness for my own taste. A couple of
good examples would be "Altún" or "Baron de Oña" for Crianzas; or for
the ones that want to impress the friends a "Riojana Vicuana" or "Viña
Real G.Reserva": The last ones range between 12-18€ but they are excellent.

Of course I must recommend a couple of "Penedès"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pened%C3%A8s) wines: Although for many
years they have excelled for their whites (It was forced by the filoxera
plague), these past years we have seen a rise of very good Penedès Reds.
"Mont-Marçal" has a young red wine that, not being extraordinary, it is
much better than a young Rioja for the equivalent price (ranges 3-5€)
and makes an excelent day-to-day wine.

Of course, these wines may be difficult to obtain outside spain and, due
to the additives they usually have to add for the wines to survive the
voyage, makes me difficult to recommend any wine that is not local. I
remember asking for a "Sangre de Toro" in Norway. It tasted like they
added cocoa and benzine, and I bowed to never pay for a Spanish Wine
outside Spain.