Re: [NTLK] Newton Messagepad 2000s with "newton Technology" Branding

From: Grant Hutchinson <grant_at_splorp.com>
Date: Mon Apr 27 2009 - 12:32:47 EDT

On Apr 26, 2009, at 5:00 AM, Leo LeBron wrote:

> They are both Messagepad 2000s, not 2100s, but have the "Newton
> Technology" logo, and mysteriously, NO apple logo.
>
> Prototypes, methinks.

Maybe, but not likely. The devices shown in these ads have probably
had the bottom (centered) logo retouched out of the image. Newton
devices manufactured during the Newton Inc timeframe were supposedly
going to have a Newton logo centered below the screen. They were later
replaced by the "button"-like Apple logos found on the MP2100 devices
after the Newton group was reabsorbed back into Apple proper.

Here's some discussion from back in February 2000 about the same topic.

http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/aug2000/index.html#1342

> Anyway, just an interesting footnote. I wonder if the 2000 was
> originally going to have the Newton Technoloy logo. Mine just has the
> standard Newton with lightbulb logo in the center above the screen.
> (or in my case, since I have the screen rotated to the right; on the
> left).

I do have an MP2000 DVT (Development Verification Test) unit which
sports a centered lightbulb logo and "Newton" wordmark at the top of
the device, and a centered, embossed rainbow Apple logo at the bottom.
The word "MessagePad" is screened directly below the Apple logo. The
"Newton Technology" logo is not found anywhere on the device.

g.

Grant Hutchinson
Interface Considerations & Feature Deprecation

Weblog : splorp.com
Tweets : twitter.com/splorp
Photos : flickr.com/photos/splorp