[NTLK] New here... (and new to the Newton)

Eric Rucker bhtooefr at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 08:44:41 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 07:17, James Fraser
<wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You didn't mention it, so I thought I'd bring it up: it's a good idea to perform a bit of preventative maintenance on an eMate as, wonderful though they are, they have an inherent flaw.  If the phrase "hinge repair" isn't already a familiar one to you, it's one you'll want to acquaint yourself with.
>
> Frank Gruendel has put together a thoughtful page on the problem and how to remedy it:
>
> http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html

I have seen that, and seeing as my eMate has a rather stiff hinge, and
made a popping noise yesterday when I opened it once, I've
discontinued use, and today's project is to do the hinge repair.

> May I say that your post was a pleasure to read?  Of course, that's likely because I happen to share your views on the iPhone.  :) It's an amazing device, to be sure, but the Apple, Inc. that built it and the Apple Computer responsible for the eMate are really two different companies with two different philosophies.  Of course, there's no real "right" or "wrong" as far as which company is better: it's all a matter of which philosophy you happen to favor yourself.

It really is a shame that Apple has to take such a closed stance, though.

> The eMate has a lot to offer, too, and the all-in-one form factor is hard to beat, especially if, like yourself, you greatly prefer keyboard input over handwriting.

It's just a shame that it doesn't have a StrongARM. :)

> Welcome to the list!

Thanks for the welcome. :)

-Eric Rucker