[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 3, Issue 41

Gene Beaird bgbeaird at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 28 13:07:31 EST 2009

Todd,

All I really know is what worked for me.  I have an old beige
PowerMacintosh G3 running MacOS 8.6.  It used to be my primary
workstation, but I have since moved on to other systems (iBooks,
Macbooks, and misc Windows laptops and unix workstations.  Because of
that, I hadn't backed up, or installed any apps on my Newton in a long
time.  I did, however, still have the Newton Connection Utility
installed on the G3.  Because I haven't used the G3 in a while, the
browser is kind of old, and not flash- or javascript-compatible, so I
don't use it to browse the web, as most web pages cause it to crash.

I used my MacBook to get the patch package off the web.  I then sftp
it to a Debian server I have.  The version of Debian is nice in that
it has Appletalk File Protocol installed, which I set up when I
installed the OS.  I figured it would be a great way to back up all my
files off my G3, as a backup, just in case.  It has served that
purpose well.  Anyway, I pulled the patch to my G3 from the Debian
server.  I discovered that I had to use ResEdit to change the Type and
Creator  codes on the individual patches so that the G3, and
subsequently my NCU would recognize the patches as Newton Packages I
could install.

After a lot of messing around with the connections, I finally got the
right combination of serial ports, appletalk switched off, and serial
connections to work between my Newton and G3.  After that, it was just
click and wait.  The backups took the longest, the patching took
moments.

I did look around on the web to try to find a way to patch the Newtons
with my MacBook, but it seems most of the sites that were linked in
FAQs and info pages were no more.  Perhaps someone on NewtonTalk can
address your exact situation.  I had an existing, viable system to
patch the Newtons with, I just had to remember how to do it.

I am suspecting your lime G3 with it's Macintosh 'standard' serial
ports will be the way to go, if you have the Newton's serial cables
and serial interconnect module.  You will probably also need a copy of
Newton Connection Utilities, but I'm not sure.  Others on this list
can probably help with a specific combination of tools to get the job
done.

Regards,

Gene Beaird
Pearland, Texas