Re: [NTLK] Apple Tablet Probably Imminent

From: Michael Krzyzek <michael_at_tactile.com>
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 03:41:57 EDT

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Bob Carls Dudney<kosmicdollop@saber.net> wrote:
> A leading telecom analyst said today on Bloomberg he expects an Apple
> netbook within 6 months. He says Apple wants to be "all over" mobile
> telecom.

Yes because leading analysts have been so spot on about Apple. Cough.
Oh and by the way tablet does not equal a netbook.

> Since Apple usually keeps tight wraps on new developments, perhaps
> they are allowing more leaks than usual to encourage prospective
> buyers to wait.
>
> With US and many European economies doomed to continue contracting*
> for years, Apple will need netbooks to replace falling laptop/desktop
> sales, and to penetrate booming Asian markets.
>
>                     *in real, honest inflation-adjusted terms
>                                       e.g, ShadowStats.com

You are so right. Apple's quarterly call just screamed that they have
been hurt by the contracting economy. So hurt that they had their
best, non holiday, quarter ever. So they are definately going to queue
up the low margin, utter crap, netbooks right away. But no. They have
no reason to. Apple is doing a great job selling high end systems. If
they did create a "netbook" I would expect it to sell in excess of
$800 US. But again the article is not about a netbook. It's about a
tablet. Something that is very specific to vertical markets and people
that geek out about it. Vertical markets need really specific software
to use a tablet. In addition the hardware needs to be pretty sturdy to
withstand daily use, drops and just knocking it about.

The consumer market for tablet computers is practically non-existent.
Since Apple has focused on the consumer market, rather successfully,
over the past decade I really find it hard to believe that they would
change that focus.

--
Michael