Re: [NTLK] Speech Recognition

From: Tony Kan <tonykan_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 18:21:00 EDT

There was an interesting interview of Steve Capps on RetroMacCast the other day.
During the discussion it turns out that Walter Smith had written a Newton
emulator but Capps said it would never see the light of day because it relied on
several features which were protected by patents owned by Apple.

Wouldn't Dragon's beta module also suffer from the same problem, as it too will
be reliant on technologies presumably protected by patents held by Dragon?

On the use of speech recognition, I used it a lot, particularly when I have
really long documents to do but working with it all day results in "voice
strain" so now I rotate between the stylus, keyboard and the microphone. Maybe
it's just my kind of work which means I'm in front of my computer for hours on
end.

Cheers

Tony.

[snip]

Newton, handwriting vs. speech.

So after another week with MacSpeech Dictate, I would never want to be without
speech recognition. The only drawback is being limited to quiet environments.
It's great having a stylus, but would be even better to be able to choose
between speech input or stylus input.

At any rate, I am going to give the guys over a MacSpeech Dictate the DNS Newton
beta and see if they feel like playing around with it. It would be cool if
someone could tweak that program and make it 95%+ accurate. I expect nothing to
come of this, but, hey, it's all about furthering the Newton platform... or at
least dreaming about it.

All the best,

Ryan
[snip]