Re: [NTLK] Graphics to MacOS X serially?

From: David Neale <david.neale_at_telenet.be>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 05:34:46 EDT

Andy,

Pleased to hear that I don't need the ISP Presets. It was, indeed, the
Generic template that I used when setting up the information for
Internet Setup.

I have to admit, however, that I do not understand what must be
entered in that template. I have largely copied from other setups that
I have found on the Web, none of which comes with an adequate
explanation of what actually needs to be entered (saying things like
"you can get this from such and such a place," where "this" simply
can't be found -- presumably because of changes in software).

The Internet Setup is as follows:

Configuration: Manual
Card: Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Local IP Address: 10.0.2.4 (Why? No idea, other than that I saw this
used on a working setup somewhere)
Gateway/Router Address: 192.168.0.1 (This is the IP address of my
Airport)
Primary DNS/Name Server Address: 10.0.1.1 (I have no idea why, but saw
it used on a working setup -- it is, I believe, also the address of my
iMac, but I do not know if this is of any significance -- I don't see
that I need to use the iMac in any way)
Alternate DNS/Name Sarver Address: 10.0.1.1 (same comment)
Domain Name: <None>

If you know of anywhere that provides understandable explanations for
the various fields, please let me know!

Or, at least, it was, as I am constantly trying new values in those
fields for which I have no idea of what to really use. In any case,
the result is always the same (even if I write nonsense values):
"Couldn't resolve IP address."

I shall have to locate the packages you list. The only one currently
installed is Hiroshi's 802.11b package, needed for the Lucent
Technologies card that I have. Perhaps you've located the problem with
these missing packages.

Thanks.

David