Re: [NTLK] My newton future... :-(

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Oct 09 2009 - 22:55:50 EDT

James Fraser wrote:

> Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time simply *believing* the number of people who seem to expect a near-instantaneous reply to any query they care to shoot my way. This despite my telling them slowly and distinctly, (and well beforehand) that "it may take a day or two (and sometimes longer, depending) for me to get back to you." As well as pointing out that handcuffs are *not* part of the feature set of my computer/mobile device.
> :/
>
> I think perhaps people have become used to the idea of their computer/mobile device simply spitting out answers without taking into account the fact that those answers are (usually) supplied by another human being. A human being who may not have the time (or the necessary information) on hand to generate a prompt reply.

Similarly, my brother always calls my iPhone and leaves a message even
though I tell him that the iPhone is in Airplane-Mode 99% of the time. I
switch it on only if I want to make a call, am EXPECTING a call, or want
to use the data network. After a couple of days he calls my home phone
and asks if I got his message. I just say if it was to my iPhone, then
"No" because it is OFF!

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney