[NTLK] Blasting Apple [WAS: "Re: How would I find my Newtons serial number"]

From: Lord Groundhog <lordgroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 14:32:30 EDT

~~~ On 2009/09/21 02:57, Reilly001os@aol.com at Reilly001os@aol.com wrote
~~~

> Maybe I need counselling (lol)

It's OK Joe, I can help. Just sit back in your chair, let go of the
armrests, unclench your teeth, and let your shoulders drop. Now, take a few
slow, deep breaths. Let yourself feel relaxed and safe. Think of a happy
place to be.

Good. Now, think back to the first time you you saw Steve Jobs speaking
about Apple products ... What emotion were you feeling: -- anxious? hopeful?
perhaps some other emotion? ..........

[To continue your session and to receive future sessions, go to my website
and when prompted, insert your personal data and credit card details in the
appropriate spaces and tick the box which states that you will refrain from
suing me.]

:-D

Seriously, I think you may have noticed that a number of us are less than
happy with King Steven the Jobs, if only because he slew our beloved
Newtons.

I can't say I agree with all of Dennis' response since I don't think you're
talking simply about the current campaign of M$ propaganda, but certainly
his point about ATT is valid, as demonstrated by Apple's plans to unlock the
iPhone in other countries. While so many US companies insist on CDMA
mobiles, this was the best solution though I hope they'll open up to other
GSM providers there SOON. But some of your points are just a matter of
taste? I agree that an iPod with no buttons is ludicrous (IMO, ditto an
iPod that "talks to you" -- if I had one I'd be reaching for the
lump-hammer), but if there are people who actually like that sort of thing
enough to wast-- I mean, spend -- money on it, then I guess those
monstrosities are OK.

I'd personally add that by now iTunes and the iPod ought to accommodate at
least one genuinely lossless and genuinely universal codec, like ogg or
flac, but they don't. Who can take either product seriously till they do?
I can't and many others I know can't, but obviously there's a vast marketful
of folks out there who are willing to limit themselves to mp3s and aacs and
the like. Yecch! But I bet I'm one of the few people who actually care
about that.

This is the kind of thing that can go on forever. I'm willing to bet that
there are in fact few things "we" all would agree on as things Apple "ought"
to be doing. We each have our preferences and we've somehow come to think
that Apple "ought to" be meeting our desires like they used to in the days
when things (and we) were so much simpler. Part of me says they still ought
to -- like the part that wants a new "iNewton 2010" or whatever it should be
called -- but I think I'd better not hold my breath unless Steve J phones me
up and asks me for my personal wish list.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when you talk about things "we" want,
you're really talking about a particular "we" that is just one of many
subsets of all the Apple product users who are dissatisfied about something,
and all these subsets unfortunately are called "we". But it seems that
there isn't any one subset big enough to get the attention of Jobs & co in
any constructive way. For example, your complaint about Leopard not being
backward compatible with G5s -- I doubt very much that it would be doable
without losing some of the features that make Leopard worth having on an
Intel machine. FWIW, my Pismos are all smiling on Tiger, and my Intel
machine is always there when I really want to play with a Leopard.

The point that was made (by James Fraser?) some weeks ago, centring on the
change from "Apple Computers" to "Apple Inc" is illuminating in this regard
(sad to say).

And that's my cool-blooded meandering, over. :-)

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl