[NTLK] Installing the internal Emate memory expansion

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Sat Apr 2 15:33:17 EDT 2011

> Hmm, when I install the card and apply power (via battery pack) I hear a
> soft beep beep......beep beep. And the screen backlight flashing with
> each beep.

This is the eMate's polite way of trying to convey that it feels unwell
because someone has messed with its memory.

> I was afraid of that.  I don't recall Franks post about it offhand but
> the flashing light and beeping indicated a fault to me.  :/  Now the
> question is to return it (bought it on ebay with a 30 day warranty) or
> see if it can be fixed.....

Since it does not look like the picture Sonny posted, it's not a NewerTech
upgrade. If it was, you wouldn't be able to use it unless you have U2 and U3
resoldered. Even if it worked for a time, it would stop working out of the
blue, making the eMate think someone has removed the board, which would in
turn cause it to erase all your data without a warning.

If it is an eMate ROM board, it should look EXACTLY like the ROM card in
your eMate. If it doesn't, it might be a Newton 2x00 ROM board. You can find
this out easily AFTER BACKING ALL YOUR DATA UP TWICE by removing the eMate's
ROM card and plugging the other card in. Brainwipe the eMate (press power
button and keep it pressed, press reset button two seconds and release it,
wait a couple of seconds and release power button). You usually need to
fiddle with the contrast slider, but if it's a 2x00 board, you will see a
weird image that looks like two truncated OK buttons in two truncated
windows.

If it isn't a ROM board from either an eMate or a 2x00, it might be a RAM
extension by some other company. I do not remember off the top of my head
which companies other than Apple and NewerTech manufactured these beasts,
but I'm sure there was at least one more. But even if it was one of those:
since it doesn't work, I'd recommend taking advantage of the 30 days
warranty and simply return it to the seller.

I could provide more details if you can upload pictures of both sides of the
board.

Regards

Frank