[NTLK] John Sculley: The Newton was two decades ahead of its time

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Thu May 24 14:40:51 EDT 2012

The Pen Computing series of magazines is also available elsewhere
(somewhere?) on UNNA, I believe.

It was a great series of articles about the Newton. I remember that
during that time (mid 1990s) I was using a Sharp Zaurus ZR-5800, which
did some things much better than the Newton (and many things not as
well, like HWR). I was only a spectator to the Newton then, although I
did manage to "test drive" one for a day or so. It was a lot heavier
and not at all like the Zaurus that I was used to, which was like a
very small laptop--clamshell design, touchscreen on top, actual
keyboard (not just membrane style) below.

He writes with such enthusiasm...I believe that, if the series had had
a larger subscriber base, the Newton would have done so much better. I
remember that's why I wanted to try it in the first place.

The last several articles, when he discusses the discontinuation of
the Newton, felt to me like he'd lost a very close friend. The
enthusiasm was gone, and he even says that in the last regular issue,
#26, from February 1999.

You should not be apologetic for sharing things like this with the
rest of us...there's always the good chance that a new reader had not
seen that collection before...and thanks to you, now they have.

Thanks,
--Forrest

•Have iPad questions? I'm the Mesa (AZ) iPad Examiner...see what I
write about at http://exm.nr/HYeN8K+
•Small and Medium Business Tech News, Reviews and Analysis: Please
visit http://smb-tech-guide.com/
•Twitter: @FBuffenmyer