[NTLK] Newton 2000 and MacbookAir with NCX (Wifi only)

"Piotrowski Paweł (Newton)" newton at indigi.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 04:02:44 EDT 2017

> On 27 Mar 2017, at 17:31, Noah Leon <moosefuel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I had removed security on my router ages ago and set it to only allow
> connections from certain MAC addresses and that worked well, but nowadays
> when people come over and ask for the WiFi password, it's actually kind of
> a pain to add them to the list and then remove them. Plus I'm sure it's
> still terribly insecure. The best way to sync for me has been to use my old
> Keyspan adapter, although that doesn't allow me to use internet.

How about to take SEPARATE DEVICE and create SEPARATE (HIDDEN) WiFi (only for Newton)?

I have like that: Separate device with hidden SSID, low power (to don’t spread signal outside the house). It working over year. No problems.

It’s much better that MAC address filtering and any WEP security. Think, even if you have MAC address filtering and any WEP - both of them are easy to hack. So, if someone will (big ‘if’) focus on you to hack your network - it WILL be done - anyway. So, MAC filtering and WEP - both are mock security. And WEP on Newton drastically decreases connection speed and stability.

Best regards,
Pawel Piotrowski

NPDS Server: http://newton1.applenewton.co.uk:8079 (powered by Newton 2100)
NPDS Tracker Server: http://tracker.applenewton.co.uk:3680 <http://tracker.applenewton.co.uk:3680/> (powered by Raspberry Pi)