[NTLK] Blinking Newton 2100

NewtonTalk newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Sat Aug 1 17:15:00 EDT 2020

> Ok, got the ?dead? Newton back together again, but now it just blinks at
me.
> Even that seems like some improvement. I read that Frank had some
troubleshooting
> guide for this but I can?t find it on his website. Can either Frank or
someone else
> point it out to me or suggest what I need to do next?

If by "blinks at me" you mean that it flashes its backlight when you turn it
on: This is the Newtons way of letting you know that something is wrong with
its memory and it is hence unable to load its operating system. It sometimes
helps to have a close look at the Flash RAM and the dynamic RAM chips. Might
be due to poor soldering, or maybe there's a short somewhere. I've seen tiny
tin balls rove around Newton mainboards that can well shorten two adjacent
pins out. You should also clean the ROM board contacts with a soft pencil
eraser.

Frank