[NTLK] "Old" Newbie to the Newton

Jim C. guardsix6 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 12:30:10 EDT 2020

I just got my Messagepad 2100 plus keyboard from a seller on Ebay.  The unit came with lots of documentation, well, some documentation, but none of it very explanatory!

My biggest problem is my old eyes can’t read the Newton screen very well. Even with the backlight going, I just can’t make out the text.  If I hold it under a strong overhead light, I can see the screen somewhat better.  My question: Is this typical of the MessagePad in that the screen is just hard to read?

Also, ah, I seemed to have hit the wrong button and made the “Extras” screen my background.  How do I change that?

And finally, could someone point me to a good website for detailed documentation on how the MessagePad works.  I assume there is such a site and I have found many, but nothing with a simple, “this is how it works” explanation.

Many thanks as I wonder through this interesting vintage technology.

Jim C.