[NTLK] "Old" Newbie to the Newton

Pawel Piotrowski newton at indigi.co.uk
Sun May 31 13:16:29 EDT 2020

Hi Jim,

> I just got my Messagepad 2100 plus keyboard from a seller on Ebay.  The unit came with lots of documentation, well, some documentation, but none of it very explanatory!

> My biggest problem is my old eyes can’t read the Newton screen very well. Even with the backlight going, I just can’t make out the text.  If I hold it under a strong overhead light, I can see the screen somewhat better.  My question: Is this typical of the MessagePad in that the screen is just hard to read?

This is quite old technology. The screen is old fashion LCD. It is working like that. You can try experiment with different lamps and angles.

> Also, ah, I seemed to have hit the wrong button and made the “Extras” screen my background.  How do I change that?

You need to open app or just Extras, and then take ‘Make as Backdrop’ from menu (envelope, right-bottom corner).

> And finally, could someone point me to a good website for detailed documentation on how the MessagePad works.  I assume there is such a site and I have found many, but nothing with a simple, “this is how it works” explanation.

You should have Manual in the box. If not try to find electronic version on http://unna.org

The good start is also Newton FAQ: https://splorp.github.io/newton-faq//index.html <https://splorp.github.io/newton-faq//index.html>

Best regards,
Pawel Piotrowski