Re: NTLK Ethernet & PCs

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 10:09:21 CDT

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, richard z avery wrote:

> All of the information I can find for the Newton and Ethernet cards seems to
> be for MP2K<->Mac connectivity using Appletalk.
>
> I am a PC user and hopefully soon to get ADSL here in the UK and wondered if I
> could use an ethernet card to share this connection. Does anyone have any
> information or hints and tips for me? I have read you can share a connection
> to the net from your Mac and the MP2K with NIE understands TCP (I use a modem
> to get net connectivity at the moment) so I suppose it is all feasible.

It's entirely feasible and practical to get online from the Newton via
ADSL. I do that in the US right now. Basically the Newton cna be a
perfectly standard TCP/IP machine on an ethernet network. NO specvial
stuff is needed for it to work beyond what would be needed for any other
machine.

What you can _not_ do is connect Newton Connection Utilities to your PC,
over ethernet. That's just because there is no standard AppleTalk
protocol stack for Windows, so NCU doesn't use one.

Hope this helps...

gopi.