NTLK A interesting development concening my MP 130, battery, and charging cradle

From: Dan Barber (dan@dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 13:04:04 CDT

HI all,
Ok here is the situation. My MP130 with a rechargeable battery pack (apple
original) needed to be recharged. And since I had not put this unit on the
cradle for awhile I decided to use that as I did not plan on needing it in
the next 2 hours (about how long a full charge takes).

I used the unit until it shut off. Then I just put it up on the cradle.
The charging light was on and I went about other work. About 5 minutes
later I needed the unit (it has happened to all of us right?). So I went to
get it and plugged it into another standard slow apple charging power
adapter that I have, and it would not turn on! I got nothing. So I took
out the battery pack, put it back in, repluged into that power adapter and
still nothing! I ran and got my emergency 4AA batteries and put them in,
still nothing! Plugged it in as well, still nothing. Then I hit the reset
button, still nothing. Then I held down the switch for a bit (without the
reset button pushed) and it finally turned on! It rebooted and all my data
was there. But the time was back to 1995. So I reset the time and reset
the unit again.

However I noticed something different in the start up screen, it says Apple
Message pad at the bottom of the screen with the apple logo to the left of
the words. Now I know that it has never had this before. All my data is
intact, all that is different was the time (which I fixed) and now the start
up screen. I did notice that it did this after I finally got it going and
the screen first started up. But I thought that it might have been because
of the problem that I had and would go away after a reset (reboot). But no
it is still there. Now did a I loose a system update or something? I did
buy the unit used so I do not know if a system update was ever installed or
not.

Now I do have a MP 120 and it does not have this at the bottom of the start
up screen, and it looks exactly the same as the 130 did before this power up
problem (of course it says 120 instead of 130).

So, has anyone else ran into this?

Also the charging cradle and power supply I was using was the same one that
does not seem to charge my 120 battery pack anymore (I posted this before on
this list). So I was wondering if that power supply bad and is too week to
charge to run a message pad anymore. Has anyone ever come across a power
supply that has become too week to charge the MP 120 or 130? Are they
repairable?

I thank you all for listening and look forward to your responses.

Dan Barber